Part American castle, part modern shed, Park Avenue Armory is committed to supporting offbeat works in the visual and performing expressions that need non-customary spaces for their full acknowledgment, empowering craftsmen to make, understudies to understanding, and gatherings of people to devour epic and courageous introductions that can't be mounted somewhere else in New York City. Since 2007, the Armory has opened its ways to visionary craftsmen, chiefs, and managers who gave unprecedented encounters in a scope of fine arts. Such was its effect that in December 2011, The New York Times noted, 'Park Avenue Armory… has touched base as the most vital new social organization in New York City.'
The Armory's ARTS EDUCATION activity offers programs at no expense to underserved New York City government funded school understudies and incorporates PRODUCTION-BASED PROGRAMMING, in which understudies go to significant preparations of music, theater, move, and visual craftsmanship, and partake in pre-and post-visit workshops with the Armory's skilled corps of showing specialists; the SCHOOL PARTNERSHIP INITIATIVE, in which more profound associations with underserved state funded schools are made through participation at creations, in-school residencies, workshops, and end-of-term occasions in the Armory's noteworthy rooms; and the ARMORY YOUTH CORPS, a paid and intently coached temporary job program concentrating on in danger secondary school understudies.
Worked somewhere in the range of 1877 and 1881, Park Avenue Armory has been hailed as containing 'the absolute most essential accumulation of nineteenth century insides to endure unblemished in one working' by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. The 55,000-square-foot Wade Thompson Drill Hall, with a 80-foot-high barrel vaulted rooftop, is one of the biggest unhampered spaces in New York City. The Armory's radiant banquet halls were structured by pioneers of the American Esthetic Movement, among them Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, Candace Wheeler, and Herter Brothers. The building is at present experiencing a $210-million remodel structured by Herzog and de Meuron with Platt Byard Dovell White Architects.